Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
First of all, I thank you all for your faithfulness in your prayer for my wife Sawako and Ueki family.
It has been long long time no update, since September. It’s mainly because of my depression. I’ll describe more specifically later, but I haven’t been able to work on emails for a couple months. I apologize to you all, especially those who are praying and waiting for my update. (also I apologize especially to those who are not connected with Facebook. I posted some quick updates to Facebook but I’m afraid you missed them)
But, I would like to tell you the wonderful news this time: Sawako is healed from cancer!!!
It has been long and difficult months for Sawako, me and my kids. But I praise the Lord that He is our savior and healer. He indeed healed Sawako!!
Let me share with some updates after the surgery:
1) Sawako had two additional treatments, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy. She had 25 times of Radiotherapy from September 19th to October 22nd. And 3 times of Chemotherapy (September 23rd- 29th, October 21st-27th, and November 18th-23rd) All of them went very well. She had some nauseousness and other side effects of these treatments, but she fought very well.
2) Prognosis is good. She took blood test many times after the surgery, and had some low white blood cell counts and other minor issues. But there is no major problems. Also, she took CT scan December 3rd, and there is no manifestation of relapse. Above all, she is recovering very well.
So overall, things are going really well. Again and again, I thank you very much for your prayers!!
3) Let me share a bit about my (Shohei’s) situation. Since my wife was diagnosed cancer, I started to have depression. I went to the mental clinic on September and currently I’m taking medicines. It was very difficult time, but the medicine worked well and getting better little by little. And I just was told to reduce the amount of the medicine today. Also I had some counseling with Christian counselor and going to continue it. To be honest, I’m not recovered yet, and I don’t how long it takes to get well, but I believe God is healer and He heals my depression just as He healed my wife’s cancer.
I’d like to share more with you but let me stop with some prayer requests:
1. Please rejoice with me and give thanks to God our healer together!! Sometimes, I doubted his mighty power and stedfast love. I struggled with His sovereign will and justice. But, He is our God almighty and He is our savior to redeem our sins. And He is THE healer. I thank our doctors who had surgery and also thank high advanced technologies. But, nothing happened without our saviors’ hand. I confess my sin of faithlessness, but I praise for His faithfulness.
2. Please continue to pray for Sawako. She is still in the process of recovery. Also also there is possibility for relapse, so we still need your prayer and help. She will monitor with blood tests and CT scan for several years. Also, she has some difficulties for urinary system.
3. Please continue to pray for Ueki kids. They endured very well. I thank God that He protected our kids and moreover He used this time for tighten our family unity and grow our kids well. I mentioned previously that our second son’s tic. It’s being better now. Praise the Lord!
4. Please continue to pray for Shohei. Please pray for healing depression. I’m afraid but it’ll take longer. But, please pray that God uses this time for growth of my faith, to rely on Him alone.
5. I thank you very very much for your supports; physical support, spiritual and mental support, financial support, and every kind of support!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Again and again, I deeply appreciate your prayer and support. I think this is the last email update to share. If you have any questions or comments, suggestions, please feel free to let me know.
I’ll send you a Christmas card tomorrow. Please enjoy our cute four kids and healed my wife’s smile 🙂
With many many thanks…. Merry Christmas!!
Shohei and Sawako Ueki
Dear brothers and sisters in the Lord,
It has been long time no update. I apologize to you all for the delay.
But, I deeply appreciate your unceasing prayer for my wife Sawako, me and Ueki family. How much we have been encouraged by your prayer and support. I cannot express our thankfulness enough but our savior knows what you have been doing for us. May the Lord bless you all abundantly.
Here is updates (There are some private information. Please do not spread the information carelessly) :
1) Surgery went well. Sawako had surgery August 21st, 9:00AM- 2:00PM. The doctor said the surgery went very smoothly, removed uterus, ovaries, and some lymph nodes.
2) Result was worse than we had expected (again). The cancer was over 4cm, HOWEVER, no involvement of lymph nodes. (Which is wonderful news!! Praise the Lord!!!) Also no involvement of ovaries. The doctor said it is still in high risk range.
3) 48 hours after surgery was the most painful moment. Painkiller didn’t work, but because of the medicines she was almost unconscious. However, the pain has been gradually relieved from pain. Now she has a pain only when she sneeze or cough.
4) Urination process and lymphedema: Sawako is now in the process for Urination. It doesn’t go perfect, but gradually being better. Also, there is a fear of lymphedema, which appears as leg swelling. it doesn’t appear lymphedema yet, however, it has possibilities to appear in 10 years+. Please pray for the progress for the urination and lymphedema.
5) Additional treatment: Sawako will have additional treatment, Radio Therapy and Chemo Therapy. Please please please pray for this!!
Radio therapy will start from 19th, September. Everyday weekdays, total 25days. Supposed to finish 25th, October.
Chemo Therapy will start from 24th, September. Sawako will need to be hospitalized a week in each months, September 23rd-30th, October 21st-28th, and November 18th-25th or so.
So, total additional treatment will finish in the end of November. This will be longer and tougher battle for Sawako, me, entire family and all supporters and prayer warriors. We need your continued support.
6) Shohei’s mental situation: I am in a depression state. I apologize again for not being responsible email but it’s because of my mental situation. I wanted to give you update but I couldn’t do it. So, please forgive me. I had a doctor appointment couple days ago and received a medicine. However, the side effect was hard so I changed the medicine. Please pray for me.
Here are some prayer requests:
1. Please please please pray for Sawako’s perfect recovery!!! No more cancers, no more pain, no more fear!! Please please please pray!!!
2. Please pray for Ueki kids. I and Sawako feel very sorry and bad for our kids. Kids are very patient and doing wonderful. But, we are sure they suffers a lot as well. Our second son Jay has a tic especially recently.
3. Please pray for Shohei. As I shared I’m in the depression state. It feel a bit better after changing medicine but still full of anxiety and worries. I thank God that I can write email to you now. Please pray for my healing.
4. Thank you very very much for your support. So many people expressed support and did support us, physically, mentally, and financially. I and Sawako are talking how much we are blessed by you all and so thankful for your love. I’d like to tighten our love and bond (Kizuna) as brothers and sisters in Christ. So, please pray for each person who connect each other because of us, because of this situation.
I have couple specific updates at Facebook. I intentionally reduce specific information about Sawako’s situation because of public nature of Facebook, but there are some photos and quick update. If you are not FB friend of me or Sawako and wish to connect, please search me.
Thank you very very much for your prayers and supports. Again, it’ll be longer battle. So, please continue to pray for Sawako and Ueki family.
“I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.”
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
(I’m sending those who didn’t receive previous email as well. If you don’t know the situation please see our previous email below. If you no longer wish to receive our email, please feel free to let us know)
Thank you very much for your prayer for my wife and my family. We received many many replies, encouragements, and even many phone calls. How much we are blessed and loved by you all. Thank you very much.
After last email, we had couple doctor appointments and received some results for the tests. Here are some updates:
1) MRI result showed not small cancerous tumor. This is bad news. Before the MRI, we couldn’t find anything cancerous. The doctor said the stage is worse than ever.
2) The MRI result and some advices from our friends convinced us to have radical hysterectomy. However, we are still anxious after effect, such as urination disorder, lymphedema etc… Also there is possibility to have radiation therapy and Chemotherapy after the surgery.
3) We decided not to ask second opinion, but go ahead to have surgery at Nagoya University Hospital.
4) The surgery will be 21st, August. And Sawako will be hospitalized on Monday 19th. Hopefully she will be discharged within 14 days.
As I asked you to pray for us, I’d like you to continue to pray for us, especially following things:
1. Please continue to pray for Sawako’s healing. The more we have doctor appointments, the worse situation we hear. Another word, we realize the situation is being worse. Please pray for her healing. I know and believe God is healer. Thankfully Sawako has great hope for the healing, and so do I. But, we are not perfect and often times we feel weakness and anxiety. And sometimes wonder what is God’s will. Please continue to pray for Sawako’s healing.
2. Please continue to pray for Shohei. I am mentally exhausted and down for couple weeks. And, I feel some depression. I know I am the one who help my wife and I need to be. But, I am discouraged myself because I cannot do enough because of my mental situation. Please pray for me.
3. Please continue to pray for my family, especially for my kids. One of our regrets is that we are not being able to take good care of our kids in this summer vacation time. We feel very sorry for them. But they understand and care about me and Sawako. Also, thanks for some friends for offering to take care of our kids during our doctor appointments. We will need some more practical help especially during Sawako’s hospitalization.
4. Please continue to pray for the finances. We already heard some offering for the financial help. Thank you very much. We don’t know how much it costs for the hospitalization and surgery yet. Please continue to pray for that.
5. Again, above all please pray for God’s glory through this situation. We want to seek His kingdom and His righteousness first. And we need proclaim His gospel everyday, every moment. We believer He is healer, not only healer of cancer but He is the perfect healer of our sinful, imperfect lives. Please pray for our reliance for God Most of all.
Again, we deeply appreciate your prayer and help. Grace be will you all.
Dear Team and Friends
Some of you already heard about my wife’s health situation, but let me officially announce you and ask you for your prayers.
My wife Sawako was diagnosed as cervical cancer couple weeks ago.
And today, we had a doctor appointment and also we heard detail situation. So, let me describe the facts briefly:
1. The doctor found the cancer on July. It’s been almost 6 months since she strange health condition and went to the hospital, local clinic many times. Thanks to God for finding the reason of her health issue eventually.
2. The doctor said that the cancer stage looks early stage, which is great news. Praise the Lord!! Another good news is that generally it is said that cervical cancer grows slowly.
3. Bad news is that the hospital (Nagoya University Hospital) recommends “radical hysterectomy”, which means they remove whole uterus, ovary, and also some lymph node. We thought if the stage early, the surgery has to be simpler and doesn’t have to remove everything. We understand the “radical hysterectomy” and “simple total hysterectomy” has huge differences so would like to refuse “removing everything”.
4. We are still waiting for MRI next week, 31st. And depends on the test, the stage, situation, everything would change.
5. Since the surgery could be radical, we will see the result of MRI and will seek the second opinion from other hospital.
6. There is a possibility to have radiation therapy instead of surgery. (I heard in US there are more radiation therapy than surgery. Please let me know if you know about the cases)
At first we were very shocked and struggled the fact. However, hearing more details and knowing this is early stage, we started to feel comforted and seek what is God’ purpose on my wife and our family. So, please remember us and join in our prayer:
1) I usually ask you for the first prayer request as glorifying God, but please allow me to ask you for Sawako’s healing first. She has been suffered from her health issues more than 3 years, including hypoglycemia and other minor issues. Please pray for the healing of cancer, and also hypoglycemia.
2) Please, please pray for myself! I have been experienced tremendous spiritual and mental attack/tiredness/disappointment. Ironically, Sawako is much, much healthier in terms of spiritual/mental health. To be honest, I don’t feel like doing anything for these couple weeks, not only the fact of my wife’s cancer, but also other minor/major worries and heartaches.
3) Please pray for our family, especially our kids, John, Jay, Yuzuri, and Joe. We told about Sawako’s cancer couple days ago. Some of our kids understood, but they are sad mostly because they cannot have any more siblings… Please pray for strengthening our family unity and protect from evil ones.
4) Please pray for our finances. First of all, I thank God and everyone for blessing our regular budgets. We are enough supported for our ministry life. On the other hand, due to many tests and doctor appointments, we spend a lot for medical care recently. and also surgery and aftercare are expected soon.
5) Please pray that most of all God reveals His glorious will and glorify Himself through this situation. Please pray that I and Sawako, we all realize that He is our God, sovereign, almighty God. And know He is the one who allows us to suffer, and He is the one who saves us from the suffering, eternal suffering. And know He is the one who is to be glorified eternally, even a midst of suffering.
I really appreciate you for being the partner and team for the gospel in the global world. Thank you very much.
Last couple weeks, my father in law had many, many tests. The good news is that there is NO cancer in his lung! PTL!! We thank you so much for your prayer. God is Good!
However, there IS a cancer in his stomach now. So, he’ll be in hospitalized and will have a surgery in couple weeks. Please continue to pray.
This events makes me to think how our life is fragile and our faith is weak. Once our body feel suffered, everything suffered. Even a small part of body, such as tiny scratch, very small dust in eye, slight injury cut by a piece of paper, and even our emotions, tiny worries and small regrets. These things makes our whole body suffered. And, sometimes this suffering makes us feel desperate situation. It is like well- built Jenga tower falls by tiny, tiny suffered piece.
And, this makes not only one body suffered, but also the suffering spreads and affects to the others, as if the falling down Jenga pieces spread to the other’s Jenga tower. Although we want to encourage his suffered heart, we are also worried and suffered because of his tiny suffering. We ourself are fragile and susceptible to the others. “If one member suffers, all suffer together” (1 Corinthians 12:26a)
However, we want ask to ourselves “Is is really suffering?”, “Is it truly desperate?” “Is it literally end of the earth?”
Jesus was crucified on the cross. But, He conquered the death and raised again. And, He give us a eternal life. “When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”” (1 Corinthians 15:54)
We know that God already gave us the victory through Jesus Christ. We know this earth and our body is perishable but we have a promise for the imperishable life in Christ. And, we know our suffering is tiny, tiny suffering, although it seems huge, unconquerable giant. God never gives us desperation.
Romans 8:18 says, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”
Thanks to God, my father in law believes eternal life in Christ. And, he knows the suffering of this time is not comparable to the eternal joy. And, he knows there is in store for him the crown of righteousness.
As in children’s hymn “Jesus loves me, this I know,” we confess that we are weak and fragile, but, God is strong. This is the most encouragement for us to fight against this suffering.
Therefore, we Christians “suffers, all suffer together” (1 Corinthians 12:26a), However, one of Christian “member is honored, all rejoice together.”(1 Corinthians 12:26b), Because “that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.” (1 Corinthians 12:25)
I am writing about asking for your prayer.
My father in law is diagnosed as stomach cancer. It might be spread to his lung. If so, the situation could be really serious.
He is still in checking up, but it was sudden sentence. We are all shocked and depressed. My wife lost her grandfather couple months ago. This time it is her father.
We need prayer. We need God’s help. So, please pray with us.
It’s been a long time no post. But, I would like to say to all of you, “A Happy New Year!!” I hope you have wonderful year with our mighty savior this year as well.
As Japanese, we celebrate new year day with several thing, one of our tradition is to send a new year card to friends and relatives. We usually make a card with family picture. This year, we tried to take a picture of us in front of our home as usual. However I noticed how difficult it is to take a picture of family with four kids. No matter how we try to see the camera at the same time, somebody our kids see other thing!
This picture is one of the “best” picture out of more than 10 pictures. But, you’ll notice that you cannot see baby Joe’s face. Eventually, we gave up to take a photo but decided to use another photo that everyone looks good. (Sorry kids, but I appreciate your contribution!)
Anyway, this is our first story of this year. It is funny story, but indeed it is definitely “Blessing” by God. A family with four kids is rare in Japan now. I and my wife believe that our kids are nothing but God’s mercy and blessing to us. So, we hope God may show His Aroma in the nation of Japan through us; messy, unsophisticated, but loving-each-other-by-His-grace family.
At the foot spa, near our house.